CALL US ON 01525 851545 IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION
CAR SHIPPING TO HONG KONG – KEY FACTS
- For a personal quotation of all the costs and requirements of shipping and importing a car to Hong Kong use our online quotation form or call Richard on 01525 851545.
- Cars in Hong Kong are generally more expensive than in the UK, especially modern European models and luxury / prestige cars.
- Although there is an excellent public transport system in Hong Kong a car is still almost a necessity to get around.
- We have been shipping cars by safe and secure container from our private East London / Barking warehouse to Hong Kong for over 30 years.
- Shipping can be arranged in less than a week and vessels from the UK sail every 7 days taking 4–5 weeks to Hong Kong.
- It can take 2–4 weeks in Hong Kong to clear customs and then pass roadworthy checks and register a car.
- A personal import is a car owned and used for 6 months prior to shipment and these are generally slightly easier to register in Hong Kong.
- Cars with a diesel engine are almost impossible to import and register in Hong Kong as are left-hand drive cars.
- Any items packed inside a vehicle would travel free of charge and would clear customs separately from the car.
- Fuel does not have to be drained prior to shipment and batteries can be left safely connected.
- UK costs are shipping at about £1,000–1,200 and Lloyds of London marine insurance cover at up to 1.5% of the car value.
- The shipping and insurance costs cover everything from the UK through to the arrival port but none of the Hong Kong charges all payable at destination.
- Destination costs payable in Hong Kong to import and register a car are about HK$12,000–15,000 + registration taxes.
- The registration taxes start at 40% and go up to 115% of the car + shipping value and a depreciation allowance is given if a car has been owned and used in the UK.
- Hong Kong paperwork and procedures can be very particular and exacting and it is useful to have the assistance of an agent at destination.
- We have an agent in Hong Kong that can assist and handle all of the arrival formalities from arrival through to registration.
- Once a vessel has sailed the shipping and insurance documents along with arrival instructions are emailed and posted along with copies to the destination agent.
- Full track and trace facilities are available of both the container and the ship from the time the container is loaded through to arrival at destination.
- To book a shipment use our online booking form on our website. Payment is due at the time of shipment by bank transfer or cheque or at any bank.
For detailed information regarding shipping your car to Hong Kong please see the pages accessible via the main menu.
Full, printable information covering everything on this website and more, including a guide to prices and useful website and contact addresses, can be found in the Hong Kong Info Pack (PDF).
|HK | Key Facts||HK | Guide to Shipping|
|HK | Arrival Procedures||HK | Arrival Costs|
|HK | Useful Links & Contacts||HK | Info Pack (PDF)|