CALL US ON 01525 851545 IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION
CAR SHIPPING TO HONG KONG – ARRIVAL COSTS
Normally the taxable value is the ‘total landed cost / value’ of the vehicle and this means the total cost / purchase price of the motor vehicle including the cost of any extras or improvements made to the vehicle plus shipping / freight / marine insurance costs plus all Hong Kong arrival costs including any conversion and / or testing costs required to comply with any noise or emission regulations and any other costs incidental to the purchases and importation of the vehicle to Hong Kong.
The documentary proof of the total costs involved should be presented to Customs and Excise in their original currency. A depreciation allowance of 25% per annum on a reducing balance basis is deducted from the purchase price on vehicles owned and used overseas prior to shipment for each complete year period.
The actual registration tax payable is:
- 40% on the first taxable value amount up to HK$150,000
- 75% on the next HK$150,000
- 100% on the next HK$200,000
- 115% on any remaining value.
The documents required by Customs and Excise are:
- the UK purchase receipt (as proof of the purchase cost and ownership of the vehicle)
- UK registration document / V5C (as proof of the year of manufacture, origin, and ownership)
- shipping documents, i.e. waybill or bill of lading and freight invoice
- Hong Kong identity card (as proof of identity)
- insurance certificate or cover note (as proof that the vehicle will be covered by insurance once registered in Hong Kong)
- driver’s licence
- emissions and noise compliance test documentation (unless exempt under the personal import or classic vehicle concessions).
APPROXIMATE CHARGES PAYABLE IN HONG KONG FOR CARS
- Port, haulage, and unpacking fees – approx. HK$4,000–6,000.
- Import declaration and examination fees – approx. HK$1,000–1,500.
- Purchase of number plates and registration fee – approx. HK$250–500.
- HK fees for attendance, customs clearance, post shipment preparation, licensing, inspection, registration, and delivery, if carried out by an agent – HK$6,000–8,000.
- Unless exempt, noise and emission test fees – HK$3,000–20,000
- First registration tax (40%–115% of the taxable value) – HK$ variable.
- Annual licence fees (this depends on the engine capacity) – approx. HK$6,000–11,000.
- Motor insurance (TPFT or fully comprehensive) – HK$ variable.
- HK driver’s licence – HK$750–1,000.
Full, printable information covering everything on this website and more, including a guide to prices and useful website and contact addresses, can be found in the Hong Kong Info Pack (PDF).
|HK | Key Facts||HK | Guide to Shipping|
|HK | Arrival Procedures||HK | Arrival Costs|
|HK | Useful Links & Contacts||HK | Info Pack (PDF)|