No parking in Hong Kong


If you utilise the services of our recommended agent in Hong Kong then almost all of the following procedures and arrangements are handled by them on your behalf.

There is no requirement for an import licence and there is no import duty. A customs declaration must be made within 14 days of arrival and this can be done electronically through a Hong Kong service provider. An ‘Import Return’ (CED 336) and an ‘Import Declaration’ (CED 336A) must also be filed with the Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department in North Point within 30 days of the car’s arrival.

A ‘Notification of Taxable Value’ is then issued and there is a first registration tax to pay of between 40% and 115% of this value.

There are also very strict emission and noise regulations, with 3 main exemptions for petrol-engined cars only (there is no exemption for cars with diesel engines and these vehicles are very difficult to import and register):

  • Classic vehicles – vehicles manufactured more than 20 years prior to shipment to Hong Kong, which still have the same engine, and which run on unleaded petrol.
  • Personal imports (allowed once every 5 years) – vehicles owned and used overseas / in the UK for at least 6 months prior to shipment to Hong Kong. The minimum supporting documentation required for a personal import is:
    • UK registration document
    • proof of UK residence
    • UK insurance certificate
    • passport
    • UK driving licence
    • purchase receipt
    • shipping documents
    • reason for moving to Hong Kong.
  • Vehicles purchased brand new that were built to Hong Kong equivalent standards, imported within 6 months of purchase and that have been driven in the UK for a distance of less than 5,000 km, Or a new vehicle with a European CoC.

Vehicles not classified as personal imports or classic vehicles must comply with the Hong Kong exhaust emission control and conforming noise regulations and have to undergo a very strict testing regime at an approved emission testing laboratory in Hong Kong. A vehicle without exemption should not be shipped to Hong Kong without first seeking prior advice and cost confirmation of any conversion, modification and compliance. The vehicle emission requirement figures are very strict and it is always possible that many older European cars cannot be converted to comply with the required regulations.

An exemption or approval certificate is obtained from the Environmental Protection Department (Noise Emission Certificate General Approval (NECGA)). Before a vehicle can be registered with a form TD22 and the taxes paid it must also be taken for vehicle examination to a government examination test centre. Please note that rear privacy glass in cars must have a light transmission rate of at least 44% (windows marked AS2 are normally acceptable but not AS3). A Certificate of Roadworthiness is issued and this along with the Taxable Value Notification from customs and EPD exemption or approval certificate is taken to licence and register a vehicle in Queensway. A vehicle examination is then required annually for all vehicles over 6 years old and the test involves checks on brakes, the fuel system, lights, steering, suspension, tyres and wheels, emissions and other general safety issues.

Any UK insurance no-claims bonus is also valid in Hong Kong.

Full, printable information covering everything on this website and more, including a guide to prices and useful website and contact addresses, can be found in the Hong Kong Info Pack (PDF).

HK | Key FactsHK | Guide to Shipping
HK | Arrival ProceduresHK | Arrival Costs
HK | Useful Links & ContactsHK | Info Pack (PDF)