CALL US ON 01525 851545 IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION
CAR SHIPPING TO AUSTRALIA – KEY FACTS
- For a personal quotation of all the costs and requirements of shipping and importing a car to Australia use our online quotation form or call Richard on 01525 851545.
- Cars in Australia are generally very much more expensive than in the UK, especially modern European models and prestige / sports cars.
- We have been shipping cars by safe and secure container from our private East London / Barking warehouse to Australia for over 30 years.
- Shipping can be arranged in less than a week and vessels from the UK sail weekly taking 5–7 weeks to Fremantle (Perth), Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
- It can take 2–4 weeks in Australia to clear customs and quarantine and then pass roadworthy checks and register a car.
- An import approval is required from the Australian Government which can take up to 4–6 weeks to obtain.
- A car newer than 1988 must be owned and used in the UK for over 12 months first and the importer must have Australian residency.
- Any items packed inside a vehicle would travel free of charge and would clear customs and quarantine separately from the car.
- UK costs are shipping at about £1,450–1,550 and Lloyds of London marine insurance cover at up to 2% of the car value.
- The shipping and insurance costs cover everything from the UK through to the arrival port but none of the Australia charges all payable at destination.
- Destination costs payable in Australia from vessel arrival through to getting a car ‘on the road’ are about A$4,500–$5,500.
- Australian import taxes are 5% duty on the vehicle customs value + 10% GST on the same value + the duty + the shipping costs.
- The customs value of a car is calculated working back from a market valuation in Australia and is usually set at about half of that value.
- Fuel and air conditioning gas does not have to be drained prior to shipment and batteries can be left safely connected.
- Modifications to a car once it arrives in Australia are minor to enable a vehicle to pass a roadworthy test.
- The Australian import requirements may seem complicated but are really quite straightforward with advice and assistance available in the UK and Australia.
- We have agents in Australia that assist and handle all of the arrival formalities from vessel arrival through to registration.
- Once a vessel has sailed the shipping and insurance documents along with arrival instructions are emailed and posted along with copies to the destination agent.
- Full track and trace facilities are available of both the container and the ship from the time the container is loaded through to arrival at destination.
- To book a shipment use our online booking form on our website. Payment is due at the time of shipment by bank transfer or cheque or at any bank.
For detailed information regarding shipping your car to Australia please see the pages accessible via the main menu.
Full, printable information covering everything on this website and more, including a guide to prices and useful website and contact addresses, can be found in the Australia Info Pack (PDF).
|AU | Key Facts||AU | Guide to Shipping|
|AU | Cost Calculator||AU | Rules & Regulations|
|AU | Customs Valuation||AU | Import Approval|
|AU | Costs on Arrival||AU | Vehicle Tax Rates|
|AU | Links & Contacts||AU | Info Pack (PDF)|